Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Snow, Food for the Birds


As I write this, snow is swirling like mad outside.

Millions of flakes have journeyed down from the heavens for many, many hours.

When it snows, silence encases us. A strange and eerie world evolves.

During snowstorms, my thoughts always turn to the birds outside.

How they survive New England winters is a mystery.

The birds'd probably like some of the clementines and grapes that are on the kitchen table but they are reserved for people.


Glancing out of the glass on the back door, one lonely little winged one sat on the edge of then bird feeder.

Hubs graciously went out during the day to check the nut and berry seed supply. 

He added some additional sustenance.  



A huge plastic container on the top shelf of the pantry once held pretzels.


It was so nice I couldn't bear to throw it out and knew it would come in handy for something
one day.


So it's now filled with the nut and berry seeds for the birds. 

They absolutely love that combination.


 WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT WILD BIRDS?

7 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I think of you often when I hear the weather forecast. Sometimes those storms leave us and head your way. Like you, I enjoy watching and feeding the birds that are busy in our yard. Great re-purpose of the pretzel container :)

SImple and Serene Living said...

I am so happy to be inside where it is so warm, and I worry about our feathered friends. It amazes me how they survive. xo Laura

Chatty Crone said...

You know Susan I LOVE wild birds and we feed them for years. UNTIL we brought squirrels into the house multiple times. Then we had to stop. Glad to see yours.

TARYTERRE said...

how sweet it is for you to feed the wild birds. i love their colors best of all.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

It truly is amazing how our little furry friends manage to survive such harsh weather conditions. My mom left Ohio to get away from snow and this winter they've had snow twice in Mississippi. Go figure!

Red Rose Alley said...

That's nice of your husband to check on the bird's food supply in this cold snowy weather you're having, Susan. I often wonder how they survive your Winters too. But with good people like both of you, it makes it easier on them. : )

love, ~Sheri

diane stetson said...

I can't leave food out for the birds as other creatures not so pretty eat it. I am glad you are feeding the birds during winter weather but they rely on it so you have to keep doing it. Stay warm in that freezing cold weather you are having this winter...enjoy your little birdies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails