Saturday, October 7, 2017

Making Birthdays Special


A lot of people dislike being reminded of their birthdays.

It's easy to hear complaints about turning a year older.


Years ago, I was lucky enough to have a friend who told me something that changed life forever.

She celebrated each birthday not just on the special day but throughout the entire month in which her birthday fell.

She'd do nice things for herself and celebrate the gift that life really is.

Well, in my own mind,  that was a great idea and ever since, have been doing that myself.

In this post, you will see the rest of the gifts my dear friend, Jana, sent to me.

Remember she made the lovely reversible tote?




Well, she also sent warm, comfy, soft socks in my favorite color---pink!


The Halloween towels shown in this post will give a holiday lift to the kitchen.

Her birthday package also contained a Christmas bag that has a kitty on it. 


Jana said it was in memory of my beloved Honey Cat who has been gone a few years now.  


My birthday month is gone now until, hopefully, next year. 

However, the memories of loving gestures, cards, calls, and gifts from friends and family members, will remain in my thoughts and heart all through the new year of life.

HOW DO YOU LIKE TO CELEBRATE YOUR BIRTHDAY?

8 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

i celebrate my birthday in the same way you do, throughout the month. makes for a wonderful celebration. i love your sweet gifts from your friend.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I started years ago celebrating for at least a week but then changed it to the whole month! Celebrating life is so important!!

Red Rose Alley said...

The Christmas bag your friend made is charming, and what a nice reminder of your beloved cat. Your post reminded me of Jess, who celebrates her birthday for at least a week before and on the actual day. She loves her birthday, and I see that you have the same appreciation and celebrate the gift of life too. Thank you for the birthday wishes for Jess. Those Pink comfy socks will come in handy during the cold winter months. : )

Have a pleasant weekend, Susan.

love, ~Sheri

Chatty Crone said...

I remember Honey Cat - I am surprised you never got another one. I know how you loved her.

Well I think the celebrations of life - is very important and I have long birthdays too!

diane stetson said...

So happy you took an entire month to celebrate your birthday.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I do the same thing. When February rolls around, I let everyone know it's that time again. HA! You received lots of lovely gifts. October is a busy month, with friends having birthdays, both my boys turning a year older, and our wedding anniversary is also this month. We should celebrate as much as we can because Lord knows there's enough chaos and crazy in the world.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,

Not celebrating my birthday too much, which I know I should, but me and himself usually go out for a nice dinner just me and him. These are lovely gifts.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Your photos of gifts are lovely, and I think it's a good idea to keep your birthday alive the entire month.
My birthday is in June, so I enjoy getting gifts of flowers, and strawberry cake of some sort. This year my sister treated me with a strawberry cheesecake.
My grandchildren live with us, and their special request for their birthdays is for me to make their favorite cakes. For my granddaughter it's dirt cake, and my grandson's favorite is gooey butter cake. His birthday is later this month, and I already gave him a gift today. He thought it was great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails